About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Sanguisorba canadensis

Many perennials have stopped blooming by now, but in the Toledo Botanical Gardens this morning, a clump of something I did not know was working with so many bees that the stems were vibrating. 

Fortunately, the plant was labeled. It was Canadian burnet (Sanguisorba canadensis), which, contrary to its name, is found in many parts of North America, though it is rare in much of that range. As much of a wildflower enthusiast as I am, the botanical gardens are the only place I remember seeing this plant, and today I was lucky enough to see it at peak bloom.

A single glorious stem

The plant in its context in the perennial border
Burnet is in the rose family, though it looks nothing like any rose I know. While the specimen I saw is flourishing in a garden setting, in the wild it is a plant of wet prairies, meadows, swamps, and fens; it is not a plant for dry areas. The root system is woody and spreading, making it a useful plant along stream banks, where it will help hold the soil.


Moreover, our native burnet is a magnet for bees, both native species and honeybees, and its late bloom season makes it a valuable addition to the fall garden. Anyone with a damp, sunny spot should probably give it a try.

After all, what's not to like about a gorgeous plant for difficult conditions that feeds the pollinators?


No comments: