But yesterday and today have been a whole 'nother story--temperatures in the low sixties, prompting the playing of hooky from grading, at least for a while. (The student portfolios wait so patiently, after all.) Some of the welcome sights and sounds:
- a horde of robins feasting on tiny red crabapples
- the murmuring of starlings seeking high trees in which to roost
- the front yard semi-tidy after I (finally!) whacked back most of the perennials
- a wren perched on the chimney announcing its presence to the world
- something that may have been a pileated woodpecker excavating a large hole in a sycamore in the city wildlife refuge--the bird just wouldn't cooperate by lifting its head out of its work.