About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

A new favorite

My time in Toledo has introduced me to another (supposedly common) northern bird that is rapidly becoming a favorite. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology describes the red-breasted nuthatch as "an intense bundle of energy," and if the one visiting our feeder is typical of the species, the description is accurate. A few sightings were required before I could ID the bird because it was so small and moved so fast (and the ground-level window is so in need of washing). I also suspect that our regular visitor is a female as the red is really more of a washed-out orange. Still, whether the name is accurately descriptive or not, the sight of one of these tiny dynamos flitting around a feeder is one of life's more cheering sights.

No comments: