About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Monday, May 30, 2011

Being Where You Belong

This is not a typical wildlife post, but a meditation on amazing good luck. Recently, I had one of those weekends that reconfirmed some of my major life choices.

On Friday, I attended the wedding of a former student. All but one of the bridesmaids had been my students, and the bride and one of the bridesmaids had met in a freshman comp class of mine in 2005. These young women bore out the cliche of being radiantly beautiful at weddings. Then, at the reception, I sat with a colleague, her husband, and more former students and their family members, and got misty-eyed when I realized that most of the people under forty in that room had been in at least one class of mine sometime in the last decade. It was good to be invited to witness this milestone, and to feel part of this community of love.

Saturday afternoon brought commencement, always one of my favorite events despite having to sit for far too long. Watching the success of so many people who had so many struggles reach a major goal is a very good thing.

Then on Sunday afternoon I attended the 25th birthday party of one of  Friday's bridesmaids, who had also been one Saturday's graduates. This young woman has had her struggles, not least among them spina bifida and cancer, and has overcome them. Again, former students, some of whom I hadn't seen in years, were in attendance, and shared with me what they have done since leaving college. Seeing them immersed in work they love is a good thing.

Some days, you just know that you're in the right place.

No comments: