About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Saturday, February 27, 2010

More things to like about snow days

  • You get to chat with the neighbors while you're all clearing your driveways.
  • You can see who's been visiting.  A visit to the birdseed bin revealed that a number of little birds had braved the dusting of snow on the carport to clean up the spilled seed.  More exciting: a look out the window revealed that someone had gotten tired of waiting for me to clear off the tray feeder on the ground and had brushed off enough snow to get at the sunflower seeds.  Investigation revealed what I suspected: squirrel tracks.  I filled the squirrel feeders before heading back into the house.
  • It's a good time to try new recipes. Since I was making a casserole and the oven was on anyway, I made Grandma Effie's Irish Oatmeal Bread (thanks, Debbie) and applesauce-oatmeal bread with dried cranberries. I am very grateful to have been born after the invention of bread. Eating unbaked wild grains appeals not at all.
  • I don't have to go anywhere.  Snow gives a perfect excuse to stay home, where I want to be anyway.

No comments: