About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The delights of snow days

1. Homemade soup. Today's selection is black bean and chickpea chili.

2. Lots of activity at the feeders. While I haven't spent a lot of time at the window today, I've seen a pair of cardinals, at least two song sparrows, and a wren. There is also currently a squirrel perched on the bracket holding the corn hanger. It climbs down the side of the tree, nabs a kernel or two off the ear of corn, then returns to the bracket, where it fluffs out its fur and daintily nibbles one kernel at a time. I hope it's as well-fed as it looks.

3. Unexpected visitors. We had a largish rabbit under the pine tree this morning. Unfortunately, the barking of Lucy the Loud Labrador next door frightened it away. Here's hoping that apple slices will lure it back.

4. Time for good books and good movies. I finally took the time to watch the DVD of Miss Potter, the story of Beatrix Potter's romance with her publisher, Norman Warne, and with the Lake District of England. Renee Zellwegger is radiant. I also picked up Scott Russell Sander's The Country of Language, which I've owned for years. Describing his childhood failure to teach his dog to read, he says that it

convinced me that reading and writing must be our own best tricks. We
couldn't run as fast or jump as high, couldn't hole up all winter
underground, couldn't make honey from flowers or dams out of sticks,
couldn't fly like birds or swim like fish, couldn't do a thousand fabulous
things the other animals could do; but we could read, we could write,
we could name everything under the sun.

Life is good.

No comments: