About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Friday, February 16, 2018

The Magic of Light

There are moments when I long for a different camera than my nearly indestructible little Canon point-and-shoot (until my clumsiness reminds me that some of us should never handle fragile, expensive objects like really good camera lenses). It does most of what I need it to do, fits in a pocket, and has survived serious accidents like being dropped on a brick sidewalk (though its cobbled-together repair is sometimes frustrating). What it has thus far not been able to do (and this may reflect more on the photographer's limited skill than the limitations of the camera itself) is capture some of the light of this place, which is a big part of what I will remember.

It does fine on sunrises, sunsets, and general sky and sea shots.




What I have not been able to do is capture what for me has been the real magic of this place: the way the light reflects off the white parts of the most common birds, turning seagulls and sandpipers into dancing sprites, and frequently-clumsy-looking pelicans into dive-bombing flashes of light. 

My recommendation: when possible, sit near a large body of water and see what it allows you to see.

No comments: