About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Not the post I had planned to make

Today found me wandering Blue Creek Metropark in Whitehouse, Ohio, and at some point I will do justice to this lovely place, part of which consists of a walking path around an old limestone quarry.


But in the wake of what has happened in Charlottesville today, my takeaway from this park is the idea of the resilience and persistence of life. This part of Ohio was once under a tropical ocean, and I was walking on an ancient seabed that today is in the middle of a charming small town.


Many centuries after that sea vanished and all of its creatures died, the rock that formed the sea floor is home to other kinds of life, including this tiny orange lichen.


Perhaps the most surprising find, though: tiny cedar trees growing out of crevices in the stone of what had been the quarry walls.


Today, this little tree feels like an important reminder.

No comments: