About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Fall color

We all ooh and ah over the look-at-me color changes trees go through, but this fall has brought color changes much closer to the ground to my awareness. This was the first year that I had noticed that liatris leaves turn red (lousy photo, but this one shows the truest color).


Aromatic aster and muhlenbergia capillaris put on quite a show


though the muhly does all right by itself.


Aromatic aster, by the way, is a great favorite with late bees, and clump-forming grasses like the muhlenbergia make good hideaways for young bumblebee queens, who need someplace warm to spend the winter.

My favorite outdoor chair faces the savannah garden, a late-afternoon view that would inspire me to Impressionist-style painting if I had any artistic talent.


It's amazing what a little sunlight does for a few fading perennials.


No comments: