About Me

My photo
I'm a woman entering "the third chapter" and fascinated by the journey.

Sunday, September 2, 2012

The beauty of bark

Some days it doesn't take much to amuse me. The other day, tired from dragging hoses around to our dozens of drought-stricken trees and shrubs (and getting ready for the house-sitter, who is even now babysitting the cats and plants so I can enjoy my sabbatical in Toledo), I happened to notice the slant evening light on a backyard white oak.
A little later, the sunset actually turned the bark red: 
Being a longtime treehugger (sometimes literally), I had to see what was happening with the bark of some of the other tree species inhabiting the yard and discovered the following:

the skinlike bark of holly
and the wonderful cragginess of white pine.

A further meander revealed that red maple bark
sometimes grows its own ecosystem.
Being easily amused isn't such a bad thing.

No comments: